Sunday, March 3, 2013

2005: Harley Changes Axle Diameters and I bought the wrong wheel


So continues my education.

I got my new wheel and new bearings a few days ago, and ran it down to the shop to get them put together AND the new tire put on for good measure. Bad news: The bearings don't fit deeply into the socket and I'm sure there aren't any spacers there, and the axle doesn't fit. WTF?

I looked very closely and found that the bearings in the new wheel (559339, 3/4" wide and 3/4" internal diameter) aren't the same as the ones in my old wheel (6205s, 1/2" wide 1" internal diameter). Obviously this is the wrong wheel, despite having the exact same measurements, fitting the same tire, having the same 5 holes and thread for the rotor and sprocket, ...

In 2005, Harley changed the Sportsters from a 3/4" axle to a 1" axle, so this wheel obviously was not from an '08 but from pre-2005. In retrospect this is very well known, but the axle size wasn't something I knew to specifically ask about (feels like asking whether a light bulb will fit into a fixture inside a house wired in 2009 versus 2006, who thinks of that?). I have to return or resell this wheel, and find another one.
Aside: I'm told that the change from a 3/4" axle to 1" axle, was to solve some problems of bearings wearing out. The wider surface area, you know. I did play with the idea of buying new axle adjuster eyelets and an axle, but if the change was to solve a potentially fatal problem, no thanks.

New Wheel and Bearings Coming


I had a devil of a time finding a 2005+ wheel, unless I want to pay $1100 for gorgeous chrome or pay $507 for a brand-new one from HD. Troubador up here at Ride44 found one on eBay which I somehow missed, and I won both front and rear for $160. Not too shabby: my next best hope was $265 for just the rear. Thank you, Troubador!

I also bought a new set of bearings, as the ones I got last week have been installed and removed and I must presume them to be damaged. This time I'm spending the extra $6 for SKF brand, due to a recommendation from (again) Troubador.

That other chunk of metal?


I examined my pile of parts here, and noticed that I also need a new left-side (brake side) axle spacer. This spacer was pretty well ground down and welded to the bearing I was throwing out, so I didn't even recognize it as a part at first. Lesson learned: when making up a shopping list, in a situation where parts may be missing or destroyed, carefully examine the fiche to account for every part.

The left-side spacer has its inner side ground down and smooshed by the weight of the wheel as it tilted, and the heat has welded it to what's left of the bearing.

Turns out it's quite tedious to find a spacer that's exactly 1" ID, 1.5" OD, and 0.5" depth. I found one at Colony (part 2237-1) but it's only available within a $40 kit. I have a lead now on an eBay auction which is a whole axle, spacers, and nut for $40 -- if I'm resigned to paying $40 for one lousy spacer I can at least get a bunch of spare parts. But tomorrow I'll give a call to some local shops to see if they have this one spacer, hopefully for $5.

Another two weeks


At this point, it looks like I could have my wheel and bearings by March 11. The spacer is pending, but if I can get it at a repair shop then maybe, just maybe, I can be back on the road next week. Like I said last week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment