Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Almost there!

The test ride didn't go entirely well. I put on 3 miles, heard a bad scraping sound from behind, and found my brake rotor burning hot. Hmmmmmmm.

The right-hand side of the rotor is touching the caliper bracket.
Brake pads were on overly tight, but after removing them entirely I found the real problem: the brake rotor was scraping against the caliper bracket.The inner surface of the rotor is actually touching the inside surface of the caliper bracket; not the caliper, but the bracket that holds in place on the swingarm.

Somehow, between the spacers and bearings and all, the wheel is about 1/16"too far to the left.
















Left-hand (outside) of the rotor has visible clearance.
Possibility 1: I got the wrong left-side spacer. Maybe this specific bike, as opposed to all other 2008 XL883Ls, needs a left-hand spacer of 7/16" length instead of 1/2" It sounds stupid, but I have on my desk a 2008 XL883L axle which is 1/16th" wider than the axle from my 2008 XL883L, won't even fit through a 6205 bearing...

Possibility 2: Steve down at Fred's Honda points out, that perhaps the bearings weren't mounted flush. Makes sense: If the left-side bearing were 1/16" from flush, the spacer would stick out that much further, dragging the swingarm and the caliper bracket out to touch the rotor.









I dropped the wheel and took a good look at the bearings. I also looked at the spare wheel I have here. Looks like Steve was right. The bearing races are 1" deep on both sides, but the left-hand and right-hand bearings aren't precisely at the same depth. If you take the difference and divide by 2, it's just about how much too wide the spacer seems to be... Looks like the bearings weren't quite even, so the wheel is 1/16" off center. Not enough to see with my eyes, but enough that metal scrapes.

So, a quick trip back there, Steve hammered down the bearings to be even. I got it home, mounted it up, and it's perfect! Clearance on both sides, the caliper centered, and the brake pads dragging only gently against the rotor as usual. Looking good.

Tomorrow morning I'll refill the rear brakes, and that should get me back on the road!

Thank you so much, Steve at Fred's Honda!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete